Tracing family history has become a fascinating and fulfilling activity for many people. For those whose ancestors settled in the Quinte area, the Quinte West Public Library offers genealogical resources and services to help complete the picture of the family.
Resources in the Quinte West collection include both primary and secondary materials:
- Census Records: These records on microfilm include all census records up to 1901 for the counties of Hastings, Northumberland and Prince Edward. Individuals may search and make copies using our microfilm reader/printer. Some of these records have been indexed and are available in print form.
- Cemetery Records: Many of the records of local cemeteries have been transcribed and are available in print. The Northumberland County Cemetery Database (CemSearch) is also available.
- Newspaper Records: Newspapers are a great resource for genealogists. Quinte West Public Library is the only place you'll find newspaper records for Trenton and surrounding area. Microfilm copies of the newspapers are available dating from 1867 to the present. Best of all, these newspapers are indexed for births, deaths and marriages.
The Genealogy/Family History Collection contains resources of many kinds, including books on:
- How to begin your family history research
- How to research in Canada and overseas
- Histories of individual families
- Specialized information such as immigrant lists, naturalization records, militia records and marriage records.
Staff familiar with family history can help you direct your search using Quinte West Library resources and referral to other individuals or institutions. We also offer Interlibrary Loan services for items from the National and Provincial Archives.
For more information, please contact our Adult Information/Reference Coordinator
at (613) 394-3381 ext. 3325 or eMail